Club History

Golf at the University of Cambridge can be traced back to 1869, when a group of undergraduates played golf over the heath in neighbouring Royston, initially cutting the holes themselves. This embryo club boasted 17 members, who paid a subscription fee of two shillings and sixpence. However, given its distance from Cambridge (8 miles), the Royston-based club did not survive beyond 1871.

The CUGC was officially founded in 1875 by W.T. Linskill (Jesus), and played at Coldham’s Common (in the general area of the present airport) until the club’s current home club,┬áRoyal Worlington & Newmarket, was opened in 1893.